Archival copy of the Union Square News
See the newsletter here:
May 2011 Newsletter (PDF)
- "BRING MAY FLOWERS" by Kimberly Crichlow, President - Gauging success of seeds sown since January and in past years. The USA still needs your membership and support. Looking back to the spring cleanup in April and forward to the Union Square Community Sidewalk Sale in May - plus other upcoming events such as the Bloom Your Block program (with judging on June 25) and the May 29 mega-event, the Sowebo Arts Festival.
- "SOWEBO LANDMARK 5K" - This event is scheduled for October 2 with the next planning meeting on May 19 7 PM at 1401 Hollins Street.
- "STREETSCAPE SUMMER SCHEDULE" - Sunday 7 PM meetings scheduled for May 14, June 12, July 10 and August 14 at 43 S. Stricker Street; and Saturday 9 AM clean-ups start in the park for Fulton Avenue May 21, for Hollins Street June 18, for Pratt Street July 16, and for Carey Street August 20.
- "PRESERVATION AWARDS IN US" - Join in the Baltimore Heritage celebration under party tents in the park on June 10. Discounted tickets are available for USA members. The event includes historic house tours including the Mencken House and the Turnbull Mansion. Article includes contact information.
- "ON MATTERS OF LIFE AND HEALTH - SOUTHWEST CARES" - Group addressing 1) trash and pests; 2) vacant lots; 3) community green spaces; 4) healthy housing; 5) access to fresh fruits and vegetables. Article includes meeting schedule and Micha Dannenberg contact information.
- "TRASH TO CASH - COMMUNITY SIDEWALK SALE" - The May 14 sale will be in the park and in front of homes throughout Union Square. After the sale, you're invited to celebrate Union Square's 165th birthday with more fun in the park. Article includes details, Cari Schemm contact info and rain date.
- "UNION SQUARE JOB OPENING" - A part-time park caretaker / stewardship position may become available. Article includes contact information.
- "BLOOM YOUR BLOCK" - article includes follow up details with Andrea Leahy and Salvatore Seely contact information.
- "UNION SQUARE DECALS" - Streetscape fundraiser with Andrea Leahy contact information.
- "26TH ANNUAL SOWEBO FESTIVAL" - Sunday May 29 event is still seeking volunteers for art show, beer truck, children's arts and crafts - with Bill Adler contact information plus events at Zella's and the Adler Gallery.
- Listing of USA Officers: Kim Crichlow, President; Cari Schemm, Vice President; Eboni Zook, Treasurer; Emily Cochran, Recording Secretary; Ivan Leshinsky, Corresponding Secretary; Dave Cochran & Babette Leshinsky, Historic Preservation; Jacob Booher & Andrea Leahy, Directors at Large.
- USA General Meeting at 7:00 PM on Wednesday May 4, 2011 at the NDC, 1401 Hollins St.